Image Map

January 7, 2017

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone!   I had a wonderful, relaxing Christmas break and I hope that you did too.  Honestly, I am happy to be back at school and back in the routine.  However, I do miss being able to sleep in every day!

Before the break, I decided to set up a scavenger hunt using my Christmas Ten Frame Scavenger Hunt pack.  The kids didn't like it.  They LOVED it!  They are already asking when we can do it again.  Here's how it works: first, you "hide" the ten frames around the room.  Each ten frame has a different picture and ten frame on it.  Then copy the recording sheet, and let the kids go! There are three ways to play: numbers 0-10, 11-20, or 0-20.  Your students will walk around the room to find each ten frame, find the matching picture on their ten frame, and then write the number of dots on their recording sheet. I gave each child a clipboard to make recording a little easier.





















Here's the Christmas Ten Frame Scavenger Hunt, as well as my Valentine's Day and Mardi Gras Ten Frame Scavenger Hunts!  Click on a picture to be taken to my store.  St. Patrick's Day and Easter Scavenger Hunts will be up soon too!




Now- on to 2017. It is COOOOOOLD here in south Louisiana.   So adding a few snowman and snowflake activities into my math tubs is okay, even though we don't usually get any snow.  We did get some ice yesterday!

 I changed out all of my math tub activities to reflect the new season and the new skills that we will be learning this month.  I will do a separate blog post on math tubs sometime soon.  I have been using math tubs (or centers, stations, boxes, or whatever you call them!) in my classroom for 16 years, and my kids and I just love them.  It's a way for kids to still learn and play at the same time, as well as interact with each other.  All of these activities can be found in my Winter Math Tubs Games and Activities Pack (link below).


These are my Count and Clip puzzles.  The students count the pictures, and then place a small clothespin on the correct number.


This may be an easy or mastered skill for most of your students at this point, but this week I had a HUGE breakthrough with one of my kiddos.  He had been struggling to count and match one-to-one, and still has trouble identifying some numbers.  He had so much success with these Count and Clip Puzzles that I am going to make sure that I create a set in all of my Math Tub packs.

Next up is my Comparing Numbers game.  Students roll two dice, and write the number that is more by the big snowman, and the number that is less by the little snowman.  I use wooden cubes and write numbers on them with a Sharpie, but I have included dice templates in my pack just in case you don't have that option.  My kids love this game and are really good at it.  Since it is one of the skills tested on our report card, its a really quick and easy way to practice this skill.



This is my Penguin Sum Sort.  The kids line up the penguins from 0 to 5.  They then solve each addition problem and put it under the penguin with the correct sum.  In this picture you can see my little sweetie using her fingers to find the answer, and that is perfectly okay at this point.  By the end of the year, she will need to know these facts fluently, but this is a great place to start.



I always have one Roll and Color tub set up.  This is my Roll, Count and Color game.  The kids roll two dice, count the dots, and then color that number.  I also have an add one version, as well as a take away one version.


My Winter Math Tub Games and Activities Pack has these activities and plenty more!  Click here to see it in my store.


Will there be a February Math Tub pack?  Yep!  It's almost done, but I have to go add some Count and Clip puzzles to it.  

Now, this game is NOT in my pack, but I saw this idea on Pinterest.  Using an empty water jug, I created a snowman.  Each child has one die and rolls it.  They place that many cubes into the jug.  They each take turns and keep playing until the jug is full.  This does take a while, but they love this game.  When the jug is full, they dump all of the cubes back into the tub and start over.  Right now I only have one jug that the kids have to share.   I plan to add another jug soon, but I have to finish drinking the water that's in it right now.  


Here's the original pin on Pinterest if you'd like to see it.


Now, I promised that my 100th Day FREEBIE pack would be up soon.  So here it is!  These are just a few quick and easy activities to add to your 100th day celebration- a color sheet, badges for your kids to wear, and two activities for the kids to create sets of 100.  Click on the picture to see it in my store.  Our 100th day will be in early February.  Can you believe it's almost been 100 days already?

  
Happy teaching!  And stay warm!  


No comments:

Post a Comment